Find out more about MotorSports NT.Read More...
Stay up to date with the calendar of events.Read More...
Local NT Motor Sports are exciting, exhilarating and enjoyable. Becoming involved in your local clubs offer you a huge number of advantages.Read More...
MotorSports NT is now in its eighth year as Peak Body for Territory motor sports. It has been an exciting time and our growth has been quite staggering given that we originally started with the 6 clubs that operated at the Hidden Valley Motor Sports Complex (HVMSC) in February 2007 to having 16 affiliated clubs across the Northern Territory and now represent nearly 10,000 licensed competitors, pit crew, volunteers and officials. Our surveys confirm that motor sports is arguably the most patronised of all Territory sports with over 150,000 spectators and participants annually!
It is interesting to note that the Northern Territory is the only Australian State/Territory that actually has a “Peak Sports Body” representing the interests of local motor sports and receiving funding from the Government annually to assist and support affiliated clubs. Read More.
* On average, clubs run approximately 12 events on a fortnightly/monthly basis over the season. Each month some 6,100 spectators attend MotorSports NT affiliated club events in the Northern Territory.
* Each of the MotorSports NT affiliated clubs sees a significant increase in spectators for Major Title Events. Some 20,200 Territorians flock to see major club events – this does not include the V8 Supercars, Superbikes or the Finke Desert Race.
* The annual total of spectators at MotorSports NT affiliated club Major Title events and monthly club events equates to some 73,890 each year.
* The V8 Supercars, Superbikes and the Finke Desert Race attract approximately 69,700 spectators.
* Approximately 143,655 people spectate at motor sport events annually.
* Clubs not affiliated with MotorSports NT anecdotally attract a further 5-10,000 spectators annually.
* 4000 licensed competitors are actively involved in motor sport in the Territory annually. Each competitor has a vehicle related to the individual motor sport discipline and generally have a support crew of 2-4 people, this equates to some 9,500 pit crew and competitors involved in competitive racing annually.
Officials & Volunteers
* There are some 854 officials associated with MotorSports NT affiliated clubs. * This does not include the V8 Supercars, Superbikes or the Finke Desert Race.
* It takes approximately 10 hours on average for a club race meeting. Approximately 1,148,510 volunteer hours by club officials to set up and run race meetings. A further 15,000 hours could conservatively be expected to be expended on major events such as NT Titles across clubs.
* Club officials are also required to manage the day to day business of the individual motor sport discipline. This consists of regular committee meetings, national meetings and peak body dealings.
* Averages of 7-10 people are on committee’s for the various clubs and would meet on a minimum monthly basis for 3-4 hours. This would equate about another 7,680 hours in committee time across affiliated clubs annually.
* A further significant amount of volunteer hours goes into individual club working bees and maintenance and upgrades of facilities which is calculated at approximately 8,000 hours (16 affiliated clubs, 25 people for 5 hours at 4 working bees).
* A total of 2,448,710 hours in voluntary labour by officials and volunteers per annum.
* The average hourly rate is approximately $25. Therefore, approx $50,000,000 in kind is donated each year by officials and volunteers that are affiliated with MotorSports NT.
TOTAL PARTICIPATION INCLUDING OFFICIALS AND COMPETITORS
* 143,655 spectate annually at motor sports event in the Territory
* 2,206 licensed racers regularly compete at MotorSports NT affiliated club events
* 854 volunteers and officials are regularly involved in motorsport event organisation
* Some 2,448,710 hours in voluntary labour each year
Motorsport in Central Australia and the Barkly will be zooming ahead with $4.45 million allocated for events and infrastructure upgrades at key facilities across the region in Budget 2015.
"The Red Centre is home to a huge community of motorsports enthusiasts and my Government wants to make it easier for them to access great facilities and fantastic events in their own backyard," Chief Minister Adam Giles said.
"Motorsports fans have a lot to look forward to in Budget 2015 with a multi-million dollar package of sports infrastructure spending lined-up right across the Territory."
The Hidden Valley Motor Sports Complex is set to receive $8.05 million for infrastructure upgrades in Budget 2015, cementing the Territory's position as a venue of choice for racing.
"The Territory is fast building a reputation as a haven for motorsports and this significant investment will help ensure events like the V8 Supercars are here to stay," Chief Minister Adam Giles said.
"Motorsports fans have a lot to look forward to in Budget 2015 with a multi-million dollar package of sports infrastructure spending right across the Territory."
Recently MotorSports NT sponsored accredited fire training for our motorsport officials. Congratulations to all who sucessfully completed the course.
We’re delighted to announce the launch of our new website. After several years of faithful service, we thought it was finally time to retire the old site and replace it with a slicker, more advanced website. We’ve refreshed the content and tied it in with our Facebook activity, as well as introducing a fresher and more dynamic look and feel.
The MotorSports NT Volunteer of the Year Award is an annual awards program launched in 2013 to recognise the outstanding efforts of the 1,200 volunteers involved in motorsport in the Northern Territory. This prestigious award promotes the value and important contribution of and pays tribute to those who inspire and promote the spirit of volunteerism through their endeavours. One volunteer is nominated per club annually. Read further to see who the 2014 recipients were for this prestigious award.